NO MAKE-UP MAKE-UP
NO MAKE-UP MAKE-UP
The older I get, the less make up I wear. Most recently, I stopped using concealer on a day to day basis - it felt too made up, especially for southern California. A lot of days, all I do is curl my eyelashes and focus on my skin care.
Here is my routine for one step up from zero make up. I feel polished, effortless and definitely not covered up. There's a bunch of info on each product, but rest assured, it takes about 5 minutes total (plus 10 minutes to let the serum set in).
- WASH: I splash water on my face in the morning - nothing harsh or stripping after cleansing the night before.
- TONE: Pat dry and spritz with Josh Rosebrook Hydrating Accelerator.
- SERUM: Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day serum. My skin is so much glowier when I use a vitamin C serum. I read you're supposed to let it sit on your face for ten minutes to get optimal effects, so I leave it on while I brush my teeth and make coffee.
- SPF + CREAM: I mix 2 - 3 drops of Dr. Barbara Sturm Sun Drops with a blob of Embryolisse. It's a real high / low situation. The SPF is pretty luxurious, but it's the only one I've tried that I can wear every day and doesn't clog my pores.
- SELF TAN: Organic Pharmacy is a natural self tanner that uses beet root extract. I use one pump on my face when I need a little lift or glow. It really makes my skin look healthy and golden. It also counters redness and evens my complexion. I use it the way a lot of people use a tinted moisturizer. It shows up a little right when you apply it, but the color takes about three hours to fully set in. It's subtle and literally impossible to have any streaks. I think it looks so much prettier than any make up you could put on your face. Also great for your body.
- THE ONLY LASH CURLER THAT MATTERS: Get a Utowa. There is nothing comparable. For me, it's a very dramatic difference and sometimes the only thing I do other than moisturize.
- LASH TINT: I should mention that I tint my lashes every 6 - 8 weeks, usually dark brown. My face is angular and I have strong features, so I find Brown much softer than Black or Blue/Black. Get in touch with Jimena if you need intel on this. Or brow tinting/shaping.
- EYELINER: I use Ilia pencil in Sweet Jane on the outer 2/3 of my upper water line. It makes my lashes look fuller and opens my eyes up. And it's pretty invisible as far as looking made up. Btw, you have to really push the liner into your water line to get this effect. Your eyes get used to. *The Rebel color in the Ilia pencil bleeds down onto your skin. The Sweet Jane doesn't do that.
- BROWS: There's a great brush on one end of the Hourglass Sculpting Pencil (Soft Brunette color). I brush my brows upward with it, and then using the pencil end I back comb starting at the outer tip. I find that backcombing is a good way to avoid harsh lines or putting too much color on. I mainly brush where the hairs are sparser: the outer half of my brow and right near the center. Brows do not have harsh lines naturally, so I try to keep the inner part near my nose bridge especially soft and not blocked out in color.
- WAX: Using the Anastasia Beverly Hills priming pencil, I brush my brush up and out. I like them to look a little wild at the top, and they look fuller if you brush up. The wax pencil is much more effective than any mascara type brow product I've tried. I recommended it to a friend with curly eyebrows and she couldn't believe it actually held her hairs in place. It's so great.
- LIPS: La Mer lip balm always. And the one lipstick I own is RMS Lip Shine in Content. I dab a tiny bit on my finger and then press into my lips. It stays on way longer and looks more like a stain. Sometimes I'll layer a bunch on if I want a fun lip, but usually I try and make it look almost like I'm not wearing anything but just have the perfect rosy lip color.
- CHEEKS: I smile and pat a tiny bit of the RMS lip stuff or Kjaer Weis cream blush in Blossoming on the apples of my cheeks, right up near my eyes.
- HIGHLIGHT: I pat RMS Living Luminizer on my cheekbones and up around my eyes, the bridge of the nose, and cupids bow.
Products I use can always be found in the Beauty Shop.